How to install OOo4Kids free office suite?
Note : You can install and use OOo4Kids and OpenOffice.org on the same computer without conflicts. Keep in mind that in Windows the program that was installed last will grab the default file associations.
On Windows XP / Vista / Seven
=> the current version is 1.3
- After downloading OOo4Kids from the official site, double-click the icon and the installation starts.
- Follow the instructions for installation, which takes place in a few clicks.
- There is a downloadable OOo4Kids that installs on a USB drive or a hard drive with no special privileges.
First of all, you can't install an application unless you are working with an account with administrative permissions.
The .dmg files look like hard drive icons. This is a disk image (see the tutorial).
- Download the disk image and double-click that file.
- A new icon appears on the desktop, that's the "mounted volume" of the disk image. So you have two icons on the desktop: the disk image itself and its "mounted" volume.
- Double-click on the "volume" named OOo4kids 1.3 and copy the contents of the volume to your hard drive.
- Drag the program icon to the Applications folder on the disk image. The software will now be copied to your hard drive.
- Put the volume to the Trash once installation is completed. You can either put the disk image (the .dmg file) in the Recycle Bin, or store it in a corner of your hard drive if you plan to reinstall the software one day.
- Run the software in the "Applications" folder by double-clicking the application icon.
There are two versions:
- For Intel: download version1.3 for OSX Intel
- For Power PC or PPC processors: download version1.3 for OSX PPC
On Linux Debian / Ubuntu
Some screencasts videos :
Before any installation you need to uninstall the older versions.
We will try to keep it simple, and put up screenshots, which should make things easier for everyone.
Original article: Installer OOo4Kids sur Debian ou Ubuntu avec Synaptic
The installation is described below is done under Debian Squeeze, installing under Ubuntu will be on the same principle.
Step 1: Add the repository managed by EducOOo which will download OOo4Kids
Warning: you must have administrator privileges on the machine to be able to do the installation.
System> Administration> Synaptic Package Manager
Modify the list of repositories
- Configuration > Repositories
- Add the line that defines the filing of EducOOo. It's pretty simple:
- Click the "+ Add ..."
- Line to add is: testing main deb http://deb.ooo4kids.org
Step 2: Update the database packages
Once you are sure that you have added the repository, Synaptic must update the database of available packages.
You must click "Reload" (see below):
Step 3: Install OOo4Kids-en-us
After the update of the database made (equivalent to "apt-get update") and if all went well,OOo4Kids-fr should appear in the packets.
- For simplicity, we will search for OOo4Kids-en (see below):
- Finally, we will select the archive OOo4Kids-en, so that it is installed like any other application:
- A dialog box indicates that the application is not authenticated (this is the case for now, but our server ;-)
- You'll get to see something like this:
- ... And then after clicking "Apply" :
- ... Click again on "Apply"
- If there is no error, if all went well, then the installation begins:
End of the installation:
click on "Close"
We can see now that OOo4Kids-en has been installed:
It's time to quit Synaptic.
Step 4: Use OOo4Kids 1.3 (en-US)
OOo4kids-en in the menus should appear as below.
And now you can use Debian or Ubuntu OOo4Kids.
For those who want to install OOo4Kids from the command line
In a terminal with administrator
- add the repository in the repository list to a plain text editor:
- Type: gedit / etct / apt / sources.list
- Add in the file testing main deb http://deb.ooo4kids.org
- Save the file
- reload the database
- apt-get update
- To update the package list
- Apt-get upgrade
- Install OOo4kids-fr
- apt-get install OOo4Kids-fr
On Slax, ZenWalk, Slitaz and others Slackware derivatives
- Build and use as module .Lzm in Slax Live CD
- Build and installation of packets .Tgz for Slackware and Zenwalk
On PuppyLinux / ToutouLinux
Much work has already been done to make a directly installable .pet file with file association and menus entries.
For example have a look at Mavrothal's Work
The following method is quiet different, it consists in using the XO version of OOo4Kids, in order to perform a quick and easy "pseudo-installation".
1 Create a subdirectory OOo4Kids in your home
2 Download the ooo4kids1.2_r1205_fr.xo archive, from http://ftp.educoo.org/home/OOo4Kids/XO/1.2/
3 Put this archive into your subdirectory
4 Rename ooo4kids1.2_r1205_fr.xo ooo4kids1.2_r1205_fr.zip
5 Unzip it into the same place (possible with unzip in a term)
6 Enter OOo4Kids.activity/bin
7 Run the sugarOOo4Kids script ( ./sugarOOo4Kids if in a term )
8 Enjoy !
This quick method provides neither menus entries nor files association as a true installation would have done. Its advantage is to allow being identically performed on any Linux from the three families Red Hat, Debian, Slackware later than 2008 and using a 2.6 kernel.