EducOOo International Creation (October 2010)
Back to Current events
Please add your name and IRC nickname
- Eric Bachard aka ericb2 on irc
- Thorsten Behrens aka thorsten
- Ben Bois aka _wooz
- Olav Dahlum aka olorin_
- Sylvain DENIS aka sylvaintechnic on irc
- Fred Diaz aka fredjd on irc
- Drew Jensen aka yipper on irc
- Jean-Marie LAFON aka gnome06 on irc (Not confirmed at 100%)
- Marina Latini aka deneb or deneb_alpha on irc
- Lillo Sciascia aka lillox or xtow on irc
Point 1: Present the idea
Since every Educational system is different, the idea consists in delegate, trust and let people decide for every locale. what will be shared is the development, and some other important parts. EducOOo will try to provide missing resources, for locales missing them (like hosting the site, and so on)
Point 2: Present the new localized projects
- educoo.be (Sylvain Denis)
- educoo.no (Olav Dahlum)
- educoo.us (Drew Jensen)
- educoo.it (Marina Latini)
- educoo.de (Thorsten Behrens)
Remark : educoo.fr is the same as educoo.org
Point 3: Define a Council : ask for candidates
This point will obviously need several steps, and some times.
Role of the Council : define some common rules, as Guidelines only. Define and manage a strategy to respect the Education Project goals. Share, spread the information.
Point 4: Define roles and responsabilities
The point is not to create a Lead system, like the OOo one, but balanced and intelligently distributed roles. (open discussion, to define a list)
Point 5: Coordinate everything (open item)
How to handle bug fixing ? How to handle suggestions and ideas Will every locale provide its own version (including different code, because the needs are different ?) How to reverse interesting code to OOo (or elsewhere) ?
Note: open discussion, with the goal : define a todo list
Log coming soon
[20:59] <ericb2> Hello @all
[21:00] <sylvaintechnic> Hello from belgium ;)
[21:00] <gnome06> hi from french riviera
[21:00] <ericb2> hello from France too :)
[21:00] <yipper> hello from the USA
[21:00] <lillox> ciao from italy
[21:01] <deneb_alpha> ciao from italy!
[21:02] <ericb2> If nobody disagrees, I'll explain a bit, present the agenda, and then we'll start the meeting, point per point.
[21:02] <AGiuseppe> ciao lillox come stai
[21:02] <sylvaintechnic> OK Eric
[21:02] <yipper> +1
[21:03] <gnome06> ok, let's start
[21:03] <ericb2> As Introduction,
[21:03] <ericb2> I'll present quickly the EducOOo non profit association
[21:03] <ericb2> EducOOo is a french npa, and its activities concern Education and OpenOffice.org.
[21:03] <ericb2> Its most important goals are create a bridge between OpenOffice.org and Educational World, find new devs and provide code backport of OpenOffice.org.
[21:04] <ericb2> The bigger EducOOo activities are centered on several products:
[21:04] <ericb2> Campus Libre (online Dokeos)
[21:04] <ericb2> Forge Libre (at Edulibre)
[21:04] <ericb2> OOo4Kids and OOoLight (both softwares, derivated from OpenOffice.org)
[21:04] <ericb2> The one generating the most important activity, and eating the most important resources, are OOo4Kids and OOoLight
[21:04] <ericb2> Both are localized in 13 locales, and can be installed on all majors Operating systems (Windows, Mac and Linux).
[21:05] <ericb2> We do not show the real figures, but we are pretty sure, OOo4Kids was downloaded at least more than 500 000 times already.
[21:05] <ericb2> The problem we have, is that EducOOo reached a critical size, and needs to :
[21:05] <ericb2> welcome and organize the new localized projects,
[21:06] <ericb2> define some objectives (like about servers and so on)
[21:06] <ericb2> define a Council (not a monarchy, but a team of people involved, sharing information, and skills
[21:06] <ericb2> )
[21:06] <ericb2> distribute roles and responsabilities
[21:07] <ericb2> I must precise : not a Lead system
[21:07] <ericb2> At the end : define action items, because new needs arrive every day
[21:08] <ericb2> and all of this leads me to the Agenda :
[21:08] <ericb2> Point 1: Present the idea
[21:08] <ericb2> Point 2: Present the new localized projects
[21:08] <ericb2> Point 3: Define a Council : ask for volunteers (will need several steps
[21:09] <ericb2> This is the beginning, and most of you are volunteers
[21:09] <ericb2> Point 4: Define roles and responsabilities
[21:09] <ericb2> the point 5 is imho too much for this meeting, and I'd suggest to postpone it. It was an open item
[21:10] * fredjd (~fredjd@ADijon-256-1-9-223.w81-51.abo.wanadoo.fr) has joined #ooo4Kids
[21:10] <ericb2> Before to start with point 1, I'd like to say the log will be put on our wiki
[21:10] <ericb2> Here : http://wiki.ooo4kids.org/index.php/Current_events/LogEducOOoInternationalCreationOctober2010
[21:10] <ericb2> and people unlisted, are invited to add their name / nickname on the Attendees list
[21:11] <ericb2> if you want :)
[21:11] <ericb2> Questions ?
[21:12] <yipper> With you so far.
[21:12] <ericb2> So let's start with Point 1 : Present the idea ?
[21:14] <yipper> Social Media targeted to teacher groups?
[21:14] <ericb2> EducOOo aims to create a bridge between Educational World and OOo (and derivatives). Every Educational system is different, the idea consists in delegate, trust and let people decide for every locale
[21:16] <deneb_alpha> in Italy we have a mailing list named "scuola". we could use it for promote the project.
[21:16] <ericb2> yipper: Social media has to be explained, but our goal is not to observe people, and keep datas
[21:16] <yipper> ericb2: Yes that is one role of it - I meant more as a vehicle for getting the word out.
[21:16] <olorin_> Well, my primary concern would be the name under which we present us at the moment.
[21:17] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: can be a great idea. The name of the list is explicit.
[21:17] * ericb2 adds:
[21:17] <ericb2> what will be shared is the development, and some other important parts. EducOOo will try to provide missing resources, for locales missing them (like hosting the site, and so on)
[21:17] <yipper> I was planning on introducing us to the Education working group at Open Source For America - it seems to fit with our goals
[21:18] <olorin_> I'm trying to get political support here...
[21:18] <ericb2> olorin_: in your country ?
[21:18] <olorin_> ericb2: Yep.
[21:19] <sylvaintechnic> I can watch for Belgium: a working group open source. I already have a contact with the press specializes in teaching
[21:19] <ericb2> glad to see all the diversity "EducOOo" means :)
[21:20] <sylvaintechnic> I am trying to create an association with colleagues on Free Education
[21:20] <ericb2> Basicaly, I see two situations : people from a gien country, providing their own resources, and the one who would like to create something but don't have resources
[21:20] <gnome06> In france we have a good coverage of the project in media (press, newspapers, tv, videocast,âŠ). I think it's a good way to promote the project. Perhaps other country can try to communicate on media as us. This is just an idea.
[21:21] <ericb2> s/gien country/given country/
[21:21] <ericb2> sorry for the typo
[21:21] <yipper> ericb2: Have any particular types of resources in mind?
[21:22] <ericb2> yipper: with Ben bois (aka wooz), we'll setup a server + applications
[21:22] <sylvaintechnic> in Belgium, i promote on the stand, on show etc...
[21:22] <ericb2> yipper: e.g. we proposed deneb_alpha to provide her resources
[21:23] <sylvaintechnic> and with de GULL (User Group of free software)
[21:24] <ericb2> fredjd is EducOOo treasurer, and he will confirm we have some money to pay two years
[21:25] <yipper> yes - shows is something I was looking at also - will be attending a number of Linux events in 2011 and thought I could certainly setup a table at least as these
[21:25] <thorsten> Germany: a few folks doing translation, am at a trade fair or two presenting - and OOo Germany e.V. registered teh domain, in favour of educoo
[21:26] * thorsten is otherwise a bit over-busy these days ...
[21:26] <yipper> thorsten: nah - you just feel that way
[21:26] <thorsten> ;)
[21:26] <ericb2> do people agree on the principle ? Or disagree, or would liek to add something ?
[21:26] <fredjd> (about treasurer )Yes Hi to all, I'm currently finishing to setup paypal procedures, it should be ok in less than one week
[21:27] <sylvaintechnic> for me it's ok
[21:27] <yipper> I have no problem with it
[21:28] <gnome06> i'm ok
[21:28] <deneb_alpha> i'm ok too
[21:29] <thorsten> sure
[21:30] <ericb2> ok, then let's continue
[21:30] <ericb2> Point 2 : present the new localized EducOOo : * educoo.be (Sylvain Denis)
[21:30] <ericb2> * educoo.no (Olav Dahlum)
[21:30] <ericb2> * educoo.us (Drew Jensen)
[21:30] <ericb2> * educoo.it (Marina Latini)
[21:30] <ericb2> * educoo.de (Thorsten Behrens)
[21:30] <ericb2> I have put the name of current contacts, but this may hide other people
[21:30] <ericb2> please excuse me in advance if I forgot someone
[21:31] <ericb2> Missing, or did not answer: educoo.es and educoo.pt (Paulo Vilela)
[21:32] <ericb2> Last, educoo.fr points on educoo.org
[21:33] <ericb2> Did I miss something ?
[21:33] <sylvaintechnic> I said that Leo Moons are also reflecting the Belgian site in Dutch. I mind the French version
[21:33] <sylvaintechnic> Leo Moons is a very good contributor ;)
[21:33] <ericb2> sylvaintechnic: thanks for the info, and say hello to Leo form my part :-)
[21:33] <sylvaintechnic> no problem
[21:34] <sylvaintechnic> ;)
[21:35] <ericb2> To let imagination win, I'd suggest to let people create their own site, invent ideas, and whatever. At the end, I think we could add some logo to show we all are EducOOo somewhere
[21:36] <ericb2> and use this channel, and meeting to share ideas, tries, and whatever around Education and teaching
[21:37] <ericb2> Any question ?
[21:37] <olorin_> Nope.
[21:37] <deneb_alpha> but what are our relations with the new LibO?
[21:37] <yipper> None
[21:37] <sylvaintechnic> nope
[21:38] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: people are free
[21:38] <deneb_alpha> ok, no problem for me :)
[21:38] <thorsten> ericb2: for me, currently, it would be cool if educoo.org could co-host the German pages - can I poke Ben for details?
[21:39] <ericb2> thorsten: sure you can, and we'll add you in the list
[21:40] <ericb2> thorsten: the issue is around one week : we had some issue with paypal , but as Fred stated, this should be solved in around one week. anyway, we can pay for two years, so we can start very soon
[21:40] <thorsten> cool
[21:40] <ericb2> thorsten: ben should be back from a profesional trip tomorrow I guess
[21:40] * thorsten will stalk on him ;)
[21:40] <olorin_> ericb2: People are free to...? Remember that we need a bloody good excuse if people start asking.
[21:41] <ericb2> olorin_: to declare they stick to what the want
[21:41] <yipper> olorin_: Sorry, I don't follow
[21:42] <ericb2> olorin_: the educoo.no can say we stick to the fondation, some not
[21:43] <ericb2> As reminder : EducOOo means Education OpenOffice.org
[21:43] <olorin_> yipper: Well, why should dev's and others bother to work on it? What's in it for them?
[21:44] <ericb2> yipper olorin_ please tell us what you fear
[21:45] <thorsten> well, personally, I see a huge overlap in philosophy & visions, between the two projects - so for me, there's no conflict of interest (otherwise I won't be here ;-P)
[21:45] <yipper> ericb2: I just meant I didn't understand the comment
[21:46] <yipper> olorin_: I see now...I think thorsten is correct about shared vision
[21:47] <yipper> to be honest I am more concerned about OO.o developers not liking the fact that some here are going to be very active in libO -
[21:47] <ericb2> Any questions about point 2 ?
[21:47] <yipper> but perhaps one should not look for problems, till the actually happen
[21:47] <ericb2> I got one :)
[21:48] <yipper> no questions here..
[21:48] <ericb2> there is currently no mailing list, where we can discuss about EducOOo International.
[21:48] <olorin_> yipper: Well, that would probably go for people now working for Oracle, so not a primary concern for the community in general.
[21:49] <fredjd> why not using the existing #educooo one ?
[21:49] <ericb2> fredjd: the dev one ? (adullact and so on ? )
[21:50] <fredjd> do you think good to add an email@example.com ?
[21:50] <olorin_> ericb2: Yep, you have those there already, so adding another wouldn't be a huge problem.
[21:50] <ericb2> fredjd: i18n@ ?
[21:50] <fredjd> why not ?
[21:50] <deneb_alpha> +1 for me
[21:51] <sylvaintechnic> +1
[21:51] <fredjd> +1
[21:51] <yipper> +1
[21:51] <olorin_> Yep, either l10n or i18n.
[21:51] <ericb2> fredjd: do you have enough of rights to create this list and subscribe everybody ?
[21:51] <ericb2> olorin_: please choose one :)
[21:52] <olorin_> ericb2: i18n would cover all of it.
[21:52] * thorsten has no strong preferrence ;)
[21:52] <fredjd> I'm not sure i have rights but i can contact nico this evening by mail telling him it's urgent
[21:53] <ericb2> fredjd: ok, thanks a lot. As olorin_ suggested firstname.lastname@example.org
[21:53] <fredjd> OK
[21:53] <ericb2> Next point ?
[21:53] <ericb2> Point 3: Define a Council : ask for volunteers (candidates was not accurate)
[21:54] <fredjd> As I'm treasurer, i can't cumulate others functions
[21:55] <yipper> What would being on the council entail?
[21:55] <sylvaintechnic> ericb2: you know my position and you know I am a volunteer ;)
[21:55] <ericb2> This point will obviously need several steps, and some times. the idea of a council, is to have a group of people able to agree and ddefine some common rules, as Guidelines only. Define and manage a strategy to respect the Education Project goals. Share, spread the information.
[21:56] <gnome06> i'm already implicated in this kind of tasks, so I can continue inside the "council"
[21:57] <deneb_alpha> what kind of roles would serve on the council?
[21:58] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: I didn't think more than all will have the same role
[21:58] <yipper> So it is more like an advisory board then?
[21:59] <ericb2> yipper: indeed. thanks for helping me :)
[21:59] <olorin_> More or less. Made up of community members.
[21:59] <yipper> I would certainly be willing to attend on-line meeting and give matters consideration before a vote - face 2 face meetings would be tough however
[22:01] <ericb2> yipper: great
[22:02] <olorin_> I'm on 24/7 anyway.
[22:02] <ericb2> olorin_: you are welcome too
[22:02] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: do we count you too ?
[22:03] <deneb_alpha> if there aren't problems, I could manage the localization process
[22:03] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: this will be the next point :)
[22:03] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: but I got your name ^^
[22:03] <olorin_> :-D
[22:04] <deneb_alpha> :)
[22:05] <ericb2> To avoid precipitation, I'd suggest to consider yipper sylvaintechnic gnome06 olorin_ deneb_alpha , me, as volunteers
[22:05] <ericb2> and we'll complete the list the next meeting
[22:05] <deneb_alpha> +1
[22:05] <sylvaintechnic> +1
[22:05] <gnome06> +1
[22:05] <yipper> +1
[22:05] <olorin_> +1
[22:06] <ericb2> thorsten: I'll wait you ask other german people, of course
[22:06] <ericb2> and es + pt people will certainly show up in meantime
[22:06] <ericb2> Next point ?
[22:06] <olorin_> Please.
[22:06] <ericb2> Point 4: Define roles and responsabilities
[22:07] <ericb2> Since a long time, deneb_alpha accepted to manage the localization process
[22:07] <deneb_alpha> :)
[22:07] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: you mean OOo4Kids and OOoLight,right ?
[22:07] <olorin_> Well, deneb_alpha wants to cover the localization. If she wants to, I can be her advisor.
[22:09] <deneb_alpha> ericb2 you're right
[22:09] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: we'll have to discuss soon about the transifex thing
[22:10] <deneb_alpha> olorin_ sure!
[22:10] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: since we'll loan a sever and host some domains, we'll very probably setup our own pootle server. Would simplify the life
[22:10] <ericb2> but this is not the point today
[22:10] <olorin_> ericb2: Yes, we'll have a _long_ and exhaustive discussion about that.
[22:10] <olorin_> deneb_alpha: Ok.
[22:11] <deneb_alpha> ok ericb2
[22:11] <ericb2> To be honest, I don't have yet a precise idea about the roles, and responsabilities. Can someone help me and propose some ideas ?
[22:11] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: the current transifex does not work as expected, bt maybe that's me
[22:12] <olorin_> ericb2: Well, you'll just continue with being the main grease monkey as before.
[22:12] <yipper> Not sure if this fits - but - a couple of teachers I've talked with asked if there would be a forum for the teachers using the tools to discuss issues
[22:12] <yipper> and a place to get/put teaching materials in ODF format
[22:12] <fredjd> Campus Libre exists for it
[22:12] <yipper> I rather have an interest in setting that up for them
[22:12] <yipper> ok
[22:13] <fredjd> but it's not an exclusive solution
[22:13] <olorin_> ericb2: Actually, transifex.net doesn't seem to parse deep structures very well. Pootle on the other hand have a module for OOo translations.
[22:13] <ericb2> yipper: this is basicaly a Dokeos, sort of moodle like.
[22:13] <deneb_alpha> we need documentation for users
[22:13] * sylvaintechnic has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
[22:13] <yipper> I will take a look at those and ask questions after I do - great
[22:13] <olorin_> Hmm, would Trac be something?
[22:14] <ericb2> olorin_: I'd like to see people take the roles. and I'll be happy to concentrate on the code ;)
[22:15] <olorin_> http://trac.edgewall.org/
[22:15] <olorin_> ericb2: Thought you would. That's why I suggested it. ;-)
[22:16] <ericb2> Other ideas, or suggestions ?
[22:16] <yipper> The OooAuthors folks are working right now on how to change their procedures to better produce documentation for multiple products. I can touch base with Jean there and see if they can or would help with this
[22:16] <deneb_alpha> we need documentation for end-users, something like OOoAuthors
[22:17] <ericb2> yipper: that's a great idea
[22:17] <ericb2> deneb_alpha: yes, and they do a good job
[22:17] <yipper> ericb2: OK - I'll do so and get back to everyone afterwards
[22:17] <ericb2> yipper: we could add the point for the next meeting ?
[22:18] <yipper> but she will no doubt ask if there will be any bodies coming to help
[22:18] <olorin_> Speaking of documentation for end users...
[22:18] <yipper> ericb2: yes do that
[22:18] <ericb2> Can we agree to keep the thursday for IRC meetings ? Same hour ?
[22:18] <yipper> +1
[22:19] <fredjd> +1
[22:19] <thorsten> yeah, works for me
[22:19] <deneb_alpha> +1
[22:19] <gnome06> can't say ok or not. But I will try to be present
[22:19] <ericb2> I propose either thursday 28th October, or thurdsay 4th november
[22:20] <olorin_> Any time frame?
[22:20] <ericb2> Is the same hour ok ?
[22:20] <fredjd> ok
[22:20] <gnome06> ok for me.
[22:20] <deneb_alpha> ericb2 ok
[22:20] <ericb2> WInter time will come soon, and we'll have to take care
[22:21] <ericb2> which date ? 28 October or 4 november ?
[22:21] <gnome06> I prefer 4 november
[22:21] * thorsten too
[22:21] <olorin_> Pre or past summer time...
[22:21] <fredjd> 4 nov would be better to have time preparing
[22:21] <olorin_> I agree.
[22:21] <yipper> 4 Nov is good
[22:21] <deneb_alpha> 4 nov is ok for me
[22:22] <ericb2> Looks like there is no vote needed ^^
[22:22] <gnome06> 4 is better to let people start thinking on ideas etcâŠ
[22:22] * sylvaintechnic (~email@example.com) has joined #ooo4Kids
[22:22] <sylvaintechnic> sorry, i've deconnected
[22:22] <ericb2> Ok, then next IRC meeting scheduled the Thursday 4 November, 21:00 Paris, Hamburg time (will become CET if I'm not wrong)
[22:23] <fredjd> got to go away (lot of work) bye to all
[22:23] <ericb2> fredjd: bye
[22:23] <olorin_> The French speakers might want to look at anything available in that language only until next time.
[22:23] <gnome06> ok thanks all
[22:23] <yipper> fredjd: Adios
[22:23] <sylvaintechnic> ericb2: I missed something
[22:23] <ericb2> sylvaintechnic: the log is available
[22:23] * fredjd (~fredjd@ADijon-256-1-9-223.w81-51.abo.wanadoo.fr) has left #ooo4Kids ("Kopete 0.12.7 : http://kopete.kde.org")
[22:24] <ericb2> If nobody disagrees, let's consider the meeting over
[22:24] <ericb2> thanks to all !
[22:24] <sylvaintechnic> ericb2: thanks
[22:24] <yipper> ok - and than you.
[22:24] <gnome06> tks eric
[22:24] <deneb_alpha> :) tks
[22:24] * gnome06 time to think to sleep a little
[22:24] <ericb2> once the list will be available, I'll subscribe everybody
[22:24] <thorsten> thanks!
[22:24] <olorin_> deneb_alpha: We can start looking at translation until nexttime.
[22:25] <gnome06> bye
[22:25] * gnome06 has quit (Quit: gnome06)
[22:25] <yipper> bye
[22:25] * yipper has quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.86 [Firefox 3.6.10/20100922075949])
[22:25] <olorin_> Well, not bad for a first one.
[22:25] <deneb_alpha> olorin_ sure. I'm here. do you have my contacts?
[22:26] <sylvaintechnic> see you
[22:26] <deneb_alpha> bye sylvaintechnic
[22:26] * sylvaintechnic (~firstname.lastname@example.org) has left #ooo4Kids
[22:26] <ericb2> the log